Saturday, June 21, 2014

I AMsterdam




What a whirlwind of a trip! We’ve seen four different countries in twelve days. I have so much to share and don’t know where to begin. Hmmmmm……….

We’ll start with my love for Belgium’s beer, chocolate, waffles, and beer. I did not have high expectations for Belgium. It hasn’t been on the top of my list for places to travel; it just worked out, logistically, on this European tour and I’m so glad we did. Brussels has been one of the highlights of our trip so far. We didn’t get enough time in Antwerp-just a day. But, we did get to eat, drink, and watch the World Cup at Bier Central where their beer menu was the size and width of Elle magazine’s fall fashion edition. It was overwhelming and I am really ignorant about Belgium beers, so I just started pointing to the first one I flipped to whenever the server came around. My favorites were Duvel and Ramee Amber. There were so many more that I wanted to taste but I was already suffering from massive indigestion from Belgium culinary delights such as chocolate stuffed waffles and fries with mayonnaise. I'm pretty sure I will need to go up a pant size before this trip is over; especially now that we are in Paris and it’s totally normal for Patrick and me to eat chocolate croissants at 8A.M. chocolate crepes at 10A.M., and macrons from 10A.M.-10P.M. intermittently. But we’ll get to Paris later.
 
After Belgium, we took the train north to Amsterdam. Amsterdam is so beautiful with its canals and cobblestone streets. 



While in Amsterdam, we stayed at a wonderful Airbnb for three nights. (If you haven’t heard of Airbnb, it is a website that allows people to rent out their homes, apartments, or rooms to guests. We are using this service for the bulk of our lodging and we’ve had a great experience so far). 

We stayed with a couple who live a short metro ride out of the city. They have an adorable apartment and were so hospitable. The wife is retired and originally from Texas and the husband has lived in Holland his whole life. They love hosting travelers and are eager to share the history and gems Amsterdam has to offer. They gave us insider tips that saved us from eating crappy, overpriced meals and helped us map out our stay by telling us what sites to hit or miss. They also made us a full breakfast every morning, gave us access to their bikes, and sent us with a package of homemade cookies every day to fuel our adventures. As if that were not enough, the day we left for Paris we had a very early flight to catch so they made us a to go box packed full of a delicious breakfast. I mean, come on, who are these people!? 

I am still blown away by their kindness and willingness to share their home. I really hope they come out to California so we can show them the same kind of generosity.

One of the highlights from our Amsterdam trip was taking a train just 20 minutes out of the city to Zaanse Schans. The city is great, but getting out for the day was needed. We were able to see windmills that are still in use today. Check these out: 

 That's all the time I have for now. Patrick and I will write about Paris next! Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment